Shoojit Sircar says he is ‘not capable’ of making Vicky Donor sequel

Shoojit Sircar on Vicky Donor 2. (Photo Credits: Instagram/@shoojitsircar)

Shoojit Sircar on Vicky Donor 2. (Photo Credits: Instagram/@shoojitsircar)

Filmmaker Shoojit Sircar on Sunday (October 24) said that after the success of his 2012 blockbuster “Vicky Donor”, he was offered an unimaginable amount to make its sequel, but he turned down the opportunity as He didn’t believe he could make a film. Then.

The film, starring Ayushmann Khurrana and Yami Gautam, took the story of a sperm donor to the big screen.

Written by Juhi Chaturvedi, the film earned widespread acclaim and even won the National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment.

During a virtual session of India Film Project (IFP), Sarkar said, “After Vicky Donor, I was offered a lot of money to make its sequel. I never thought of making just a part. For such money will be offered to me.

“He told me, ‘Just do anything but do it.’ But if you ask me to make Vicky Donor again, I won’t be able to. I don’t think I am capable enough to make it again. I will fail miserably.”

Vicky Donor was Sarkar’s third feature, after the 2005 war drama Yahaan and the unreleased Amitabh Bachchan-starrer Showbite.

After the film, Sarkar garnered acclaimed titles in diverse genres such as Madras Cafe, “Piku”, October, Gulabo Sitabo and his latest, Sardar Udham.

The director said that he sees his films as a calling, focusing on what he wants to make next, without following any pattern.

“If you’re listening to a particular song, for a few days you just want to listen to that song. That track becomes you… It changes your life for that particular period. It does. I work with a special idea and it wraps me up. For me, it’s all intuition and then I jump into it,” he said.

His latest film stars Vicky Kaushal in the lead role of the freedom fighter who assassinated Michael O’Dwyer, the former Lieutenant Governor of Punjab in British India in 1940 to avenge the Jallianwala Bagh massacre of 1919.

Sikar, who is currently working on Amazon Prime Video judging by the rave reviews of the recently released film, said that the hardest part of the project was getting the cast right.

The makers had earlier cast Irrfan Khan for the biopic, but after the actor pulled out of the project due to ill health, Kaushal was brought in. Khan passed away in April last year after a two-year-long battle with a rare form of cancer.

“If you ask me what gave me sleepless nights… This is what happened with Irrfan and I had to move from the project to Vicky. It was a huge struggle, a challenge. Yes. , Vicky and I met, discussed. It was with him, we both committed (to the project)… so we took it step by step. He tried the costumes on and I felt a little confident Then we called prosthetics to see if he saw the part, and did some photoshoots… I could see that innocence, excitement in him.”

Kaushal said he was “realistic” about the opportunity and did not see it as taking Khan’s place.

“The shoes you can’t take, not me, no other actor in the world. They’re special shoes of their league. Insecurities come when you’re trying to do that. But the effort was never made.” I just had to give my best honestly,” he said.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.